New Hampshire Insurance Requirement Laws

Ph autoinsurancebasics main

     In New Hampshire, all persons who are convicted of a Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) offense are required by law to obtain automobile insurance. If you are charged with a DWI offense, you should hire an experienced DWI lawyer to represent you in your criminal proceeding. We may be able to assist you with having the charges against you dropped or the penalty reduced. If you are convicted of DWI, an attorney cannot come in after your conviction and negotiate a plea where you will be allowed to forego the insurance requirement.

Who Is Required to Have Automobile Insurance?

     All persons who receive a criminal conviction for DWI are required by law to obtain automobile insurance. Persons convicted of other traffic offenses such as reckless operation and leaving the scene of the accident may also be forced to obtain automobile insurance. If you are unsure as to whether you are required by law to obtain automobile insurance, contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case.

I Don't Own a Car. Am I Still Required to Carry Insurance?

     If you are convicted of an offense that requires you to obtain automobile insurance, you will be expected to secure insurance even if you do not currently own a vehicle. This only applies to persons who intend to drive or otherwise operate a vehicle once their license suspension is lifted.

What Must the Insurance Policy Cover?

     Our experienced attorneys can elaborate on the specifics of the law, but an insurance policy must at a minimum cover up to $25,000 for bodily injury if one person is hurt and a maximum of $50,000 for bodily injury if two people are hurt. The insurance policy must also provide up to $25,000 in coverage for property damage.

How Do I Prove That I Have Current Insurance?

     Having an insurance policy is not enough. All persons who are required to have automobile insurance must file a SR-22 form with the Department of Motor Vehicles. A SR-22 form is not insurance. It is simply a document showing proof of insurance. Once you obtain insurance from the insurance provider of your choice, you must make a special request for your insurance company to furnish you with a SR-22. Some insurance companies charge a small fee for completing this form.

How Long Am I Required to Keep Insurance on My Vehicle?

     Persons who are convicted of a first time DWI offense are required to have a SR-22 policy on file with the DMV for 3 years from the date that suspension of driving privileges is completed. Persons who have been previously convicted of DWI offenses are required to have a SR-22 policy for 5 years.

Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney

     If you have any questions regarding New Hampshire's insurance policy requirements, contact us at the Law Office of Chadwick-Fricano-Weber. We will advise you of the steps that you must take in order to be in compliance with state law. Call our office at (603) 880-6100 to schedule an initial consultation.