Child Support

Nashua Child Support Attorneys

Personalized and Transparent Legal Support for You and Your Child

Child support is an important and consequential family matter impacting your and your child’s future. It can be difficult to estimate the amount of support owed, which is based on a thorough evaluation of both parents’ income and various special circumstances, so it is advisable to have the help of an experienced lawyer to help you negotiate, whether you are the custodial or noncustodial parent. Our child support attorneys at the Law Office of Chadwick-Fricano-Weber aim to provide personalized, friendly service for our clients and communicate transparently with them about their situation. You can trust that we will prioritize your and your child’s interests as we help you settle your child support arrangement in Nashua, NH.

Who Pays Child Support in New Hampshire?

In New Hampshire, both parents have a legal duty to support their child in some form or another. Generally, the non-custodial parent (also called the “obligor”) will be responsible for paying support, as it is presumed by the law that the custodial parent (or “obligee”) will provide support by spending that child support amount from the noncustodial parent directly on the child.

Calculating the Support Amount

The primary factor in determining the amount of child support is both parents’ income and the number of children they support. Parents must also disclose childcare and medical expenses and may have to cover costs like those for education. The calculations will begin with each parent’s gross income, which is the income from all sources like the parent’s salary, wages, bonuses, and commissions from their job, as well as income from any pension, severance pay, royalties, dividends, trusts, or rental profits. Lottery winnings and spousal support received also count as a form of gross income. If a parent is unemployed, it is possible that their “income” will include Social Security, workers’ compensation, disability, or unemployment benefits. Likewise, a court could impute income to a parent who is voluntarily unemployed or underemployed, unless they have a good reason for working less or not at all (e.g., a disability preventing employment). However, government assistant benefits like food stamps and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) do not apply as gross income.

After calculating each parent’s gross income, individuals may make deductions for preexisting payments, like any mandatory retirement payments, taxes, and childcare and medical support costs. The result of this deduction is the parents’ adjusted incomes. Add the incomes together to obtain the combined income, which they can then use to determine the support amount.

Note that a court can adjust the amount of support reached via the above calculation method based on the following factors:

  • ongoing extraordinary medical, dental, or education expenses;
  • significantly high or low income of the parents;
  • the economic consequences of stepparents or other children;
  • the paying parent’s reasonable parenting expenses;
  • the economic consequences for the child’s benefit;
  • tax reasons;
  • parenting schedule;
  • post-secondary educational expenses; and
  • other relevant circumstances.

Modifying an Existing Order

In certain situations, either parent can petition for a modification of an existing child support order. If it has been less than 3 years since a court last issued or modified the order, then the petitioning parent must show a substantial change in circumstances, such as the loss of employment. A parent may also request a modification at any time if the current order does not include the child’s medical support. If the order has been in place for 3 years or longer, the petitioning parent does not need to prove a substantial change in circumstances to begin a request for change.

Let the Law Office of Chadwick-Fricano-Weber Help You

If you have questions about the legal process for determining child support in Nashua, consult an experienced attorney for legal advice. The Law Office of Chadwick-Fricano-Weber has been working with clients for decades on legal matters including child support negotiations. Whether you seek to negotiate child support with your former spouse or petition for modification of an existing order, our child support lawyers can help you. We take pride in providing personalized service to parents and families, especially when they are dealing with matters involving their children.

For more information on how we can help you and your child, schedule a consultation with the Law Office of Chadwick-Fricano-Weber online or at (603) 823-3314 today.

The Stories That Matter Most

  • “Throughout the whole process, there were clear, open avenues of communication, timely responses to our concerns, thorough and competent representation in court, and most importantly, COMPASSION.”

    - John A.
  • “Amazing law firm and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a lawyer that will fight for you, and only you and not think only about their pocket.”

    - Matthew W.
  • “I have worked with him on multiple things & he has always been there to truly help me with the best outcome despite the issue and has achieved the best outcomes for me.”

    - Machayla P.
  • “From the bottom of our hearts, thank you to Chadwick-Fricano-Weber for all that you did in the case”

    - Peter D.
  • “Choosing Attorney Joe Fricano was one of the wisest decisions I have ever made.”

    - Amy W.

Working With Our Firm

The Legal Counsel Your Case Requires
  • Legal Counsel Driven by Honesty
  • Diligent & Aggressive Representation
  • Close Attention to Detail on Every Case
  • Two Decades of Experience as Prosecutors
  • Practical Experience & A Unique Perspective as Former Prosecutors
  • Always Prepared for Jury Trial